APIs are the cornerstone of modern software development. Frontend components in frameworks like React and Vue rely on backend APIs to display and execute logic and interact with data. APIs are the way developers compose applications — whether it’s calling Twilio to send messages, Stripe to charge users, or any of the many other services like these to facilitate rapid application development.
Yet, building a simple API is still a cumbersome task. You still need to set up a server, rollout your code, connect it to the database, and so on and so forth. It does not have to be that way. At Reshuffle we believe that it does not have to be that way. We want to provide developers with solutions to rapidly and productively build software.
Today we are launching the capability to do so, in less than 5 minutes.
Follow these steps to create your own API, connected to a database, in under 5 minutes:
- Go to our REST API Starter Kit — a Swagger based UI to test the starter kit API, and add/read entries in the database. (60 seconds)
- Hit Remix at the top right corner — this will create a version of the API that you can modify. You might be asked to login if you have not done so already (6–30 seconds)
- Congratulations 🚀 You are now the proud owner of a brand new API! A database has also been provisioned on your behalf that is automagically connected to your API. You can share it with friends, family, and show your partner (30 seconds)
- You will see instructions on how to download, modify, and re-deploy your API. The code for the API can be found inside /backend/_handler.js, the API spec can be found in Swagger.json in the same folder (100 seconds + however long it takes you to write some awesome logic — yes, I know it’s cheating).
- Redeploy your modified API using npx reshuffle deploy. Again you might need to login to make sure the deployment process is secure. (60 seconds)
Done! you have created and modified your own simple, data-driven, REST API.
Making your API Production-ready
This starter kit can handle load out of the box. In certain use cases, might want to add functionality like authentication, authorization, rotating token management, audit, and other requirements. Currently, Reshuffle does not provide these out of the box ,and you will need to implement them yourself. These features are on our roadmap, and in the future, we will be offering more and more of these services out of the box.
Read the fantastic manual (RTFM)
If you want to take a deep dive into the technical details of this release, please check out our dev docs. We’ll be stoked if you can take the time to give us feedback in our discord community. We are looking forward to hearing from you and see what you build on reshuffle.